This Refund and Cancellation Policy sets out the refund and cancellation terms from our Member Terms and Conditions legaldefence.co.uk/terms_and_conditions (“Member Terms”) in simpler wording. It is provided for your convenience and ease of understanding. It is not legally binding or otherwise intended to modify the Member Terms in any way.
- When you purchase a LegalDefence Plan, you will sign up for a minimum six month period.
- You will be charged for your LegalDefence Plan by direct debit on a calendar month basis.
- After your six month minimum period expires, your LegalDefence Plan will automatically renew and continue on a rolling calendar monthly basis.
Cancellation and refunds
- You can always cancel your LegalDefence Plan. Your rights will depend on when and why you decide to end your LegalDefence Plan:
14 day “cooling off” period
- If you change your mind about your LegalDefence Plan within 14 days (two weeks) of the day you receive an email from us confirming that you have been accepted for the LegalDefence Plan, you can cancel your membership for any reason.
- If you haven’t used any of the services included in your LegalDefence Plan during that 14 day period, we will give you a refund of all charges you have paid to us.
- If you have made use of any of the services included in your LegalDefence Plan during that period (including downloading documents from the members’ website) then you can cancel your membership but you will not be entitled to receive a refund of the money you’ve already paid.
During your six month minimum term
- You may cancel your LegalDefence Plan during your six month minimum term. However, if you do, you must pay to LegalShield the membership fees you would have paid up to the end of your six month minimum term. For example, if there are three months remaining until the end of your six month minimum period, you will have to pay us three months’ worth of membership fees.
- You can cancel your membership without charge during the six month minimum period if (a) we make certain significant changes to the LegalDefence Plan, such as material changes to the services provided, and (b) you tell us that you don’t accept those changes before the date we make the changes (for more information, please see paragraph 11 of the Member Terms).
- You can cancel your membership during your six month minimum term without charge if we are satisfied that your circumstances have changed such that you can’t reasonably use your LegalDefence Plan (for example, if you move to a country outside England and Wales). However, you must provide us with proof of your change of circumstances. If we aren’t satisfied with the proof you provide us, then you may still cancel your LegalDefence membership, but you will have to pay to LegalShield the charges you would have paid up to the end of your six month minimum term.
At or after the end of your six month minimum term
- At or after the end of your six month minimum term, you can cancel for any reason, provided that you give us 30 days’ notice of your intention to cancel. Your notice period will expire and your membership will end either at the end of your six month minimum term, or at the end of the calendar month following the expiry of your 30 day notice period.
- There will be no refunds or credits for partially used periods.
How to tell us you want to cancel your LegalDefence Plan
If you want to cancel your LegalDefence Plan in any of the circumstances outlined above, you should contact us using one of the methods below:
- Phone customer services on 0330 124 4354;
- Email us at email@example.com.
When contacting us by email, please provide your name, home address, details of your LegalDefence Plan, your phone number and email address.
If you tell us by email that you want to cancel your LegalDefence Plan, then your cancellation will be deemed to have been received by us two business days after it has been emailed by you to us. This means that if you give us thirty days’ notice of your intention to cancel your LegalDefence Plan by email on a Thursday, your notice period won’t start to run until the following Monday.